Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Indexing Obituaries. Volunteer Today!
Have you tried your hand at Indexing? How about Indexing Obituaries? I recently had the pleasure of trying this particular indexing experience at RootsTech2014 in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is easy and very interesting. Here is how to get started:
1. Download the indexing program. Go to FamilySearch.org/indexing and click GET STARTED.
2. Sign in. Open the program and sign in with your FamilySearch or LDS account.
3. Download a batch. Click the Download Batch button and select Show All Projects. Look for any project that includes the word Obituaries.
4. Index and Submit. Follow the instructions provided as you index all of the names from each obituary in your batch.
5. Keep Going. Download another batch and keep going. Every obituary indexed is another story ready to be told and another person waiting to be found.
(Taken from the FamilySearch Indexing flier given at RootsTech2014.)
Once you have tried your hand at indexing obituaries, share your experience! Did you come across someone you or someone you know are related to? Was there a story there that you would like to share? Let's hear from you!